Friday, September 10, 2010

The Library is Not Disappointing.

As you may have noticed if you read the previous post, I had figured out that all the people who patronize my local library branch read about is teenage vampires, teenagers at prep schools, or teenage vampires at prep schools, and decided to go to the downtown library at the next opportunity.

Well, the opportunity came, because I discovered I had to run some errands that would take me in the general direction of downtown, and I decided to stop at the library last so I didn't have to haul my books around all day. Along the way, I ran into not one, but two film crews - both of them filming outdoors, complete with bundles of wires across the sidewalk, big tents and catering trucks set up in parking lots so everyone was trying to parallel-park on nearby streets (including some guys whom I saw attempting to parallel-park a cargo van), and so on. Sadly, since my phone camera sometimes needs an excessively long exposure time, I couldn't get any non-blurry photos. The first set wasn't bad, since it was easy to avoid, so I was mildly amused. However, the second time I had to avoid all kinds of wires and little plastic ramps over the wires on the sidewalk (wires which didn't go to any visible equipment) while carrying books under one arm and navigating to the nearest metro station with my phone, so I was significantly less amused.

However, let me get to the topic of the library. Oh, the library. I've been in the New York Public Library before, and I was impressed, but this still seemed like heaven to me. As I was walking through, I heard a tour guide - yes, people actually sign up for tours of this place, or something - mention that the library system had almost 2.5 million books. I wondered if that wasn't an exaggeration, but as I kept going to more and more levels, and going further and further in, I noticed signs on the shelves that said only about 50% of their books were actually in the stacks, and I started to believe that number.

Then there's the science fiction section. Although as I mentioned, the sci-fi section in the other library was smaller than the sci-fi section in my bedroom, this was not the case here. The science fiction section, which appeared not to include fantasy, had to be at least the size of the cow-town library that I mentioned in my previous post, and that's not even to mention what's called the "popular library". Apparently, in an attempt not to scare off the public by making them walk through miles and miles of shelving, they've dedicated a section on the first level to recent bestsellers, CD's, and DVD's. It's literally a "normal"-sized library within the more massive library, which is just SO COOL!

Anyways, that's it for this blog post, as I have books to read. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment