Saturday, November 6, 2010

I have a job!

And it's been in the 90's for pretty much the entire week so far! This makes me really happy! 98 degree weather in November is exactly why I moved to LA. Well, not exactly, it more had to do with the fact that I got accepted here and I could afford it, but it's the kind of weather that I was hoping for when I moved here. So far, it hasn't disappointed, and there's nothing quite like seeing Christmas decorations alongside palm trees. I actually think I prefer it to seeing Christmas decorations that are blanketed in snow.

So, now that I do have a job, I'll be checking into the possibility of getting a kitty as soon as I have enough time during the hours for the rescue! Also, I'll be seeing when I can get down to San Diego for a day or so. Why in the world does our high-speed rail go everywhere in Southern CA except for San Diego?

The only real downside is that this job involves lots of people speaking a language that I don't know at all, and that the dress code doesn't even allow me to have watches, jewelry, or nail polish that's not a "light" or "neutral" color, because we're supposed to look "professional". Seriously, when the person you're interviewing asks about the dress code because her hair is currently every color in between blood red and blond, wouldn't you think that "Oh, and no bright purple nail polish" might be a good thing to mention? Incidentally, the exact words used regarding the hair were "not a problem".

The hours right now are kind of tough, too, cause they go late enough in the day that nothing's open by the time I get out, but they still start early enough (compared to when everything opens at least) that I don't have time to go grocery shopping or whatever before going to work.

It's very frustating that after four years and tens of thousands of dollars and a degree in a hard science, that's STILL not enough to get me more than minimum wage. Ah, well, in 2 or 3 years I'll hopefully have a real career, and my career field will pay very comfortably =)

No comments:

Post a Comment